Sunday, February 7, 2010

Hungarian wedding matrix

My student ward is holding an annual Valentine's Day Formal Dinner Dance. I hear it will be quite lovely, table clothes included.
Formals though are a big deal, a girl does not just slip into one on any given day. Nope, there's got to be a reason and HE is usually that reason. We have to have a date. The most incredible element to the above mentioned magical evening is that our reason is included! We have been asked to peruse the ward directory and rate the FIVE BOYS we would most like to go with. FIVE POINTS to the boy who takes our breath away and ONE POINT to the boy who we think would also be great to spend an evening with. The boys rate the girls in the same manner.
This is the kicker-our names and ratings are then entered into a program that matches us up. It's called the Hungarian Algorithm, although I have also heard it called the Hungarian Wedding Matrix. It's purpose is to "find a perfect matching with minimum cost, " it "finds a perfect matching and a potential with equal cost/value which proves the optimality of both." Thank-you wikipedia.
Love it in an all too awkward sort of way! Call me old fashioned, but I think the old school way of boy ask girl is hopelessly romantic and far less risky!
Lest you think I am anti algorithm, I have submitted my names.

1 comment: